Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

Your Commonly Asked Questions

Here we have a list of your most frequently asked questions below regarding various topics such as our group Health Freedom Louisiana, Louisiana law regarding vaccine exemptions, information about vaccines, and food allergies as a disability.

What is Health Freedom Louisiana (HFL)?

HFL is a political and consumer advocacy group that works to preserve your constitutional freedoms and rights to bodily integrity (you decide what is done to your body) and family autonomy (you decide how to raise your family). Our members are a diverse group – some vaccinate according to the schedule, some selectively and/or delayingly vaccinate, and some do not vaccinate at all – but we all have something in common. We all believe that PARENTS should make medical decisions for their children and not the government.

Why and when was HFL created?

HFL was formed after what happened in California in 2015; the California legislature, despite immense criticism and opposition from parents, passed SB277 which removed the personal belief/philosophical exemption to vaccination requirements for entry to public and private schools and daycares. We saw a need to organize in order to proactively defend our health freedom and right to exemptions in Louisiana.

How do I become a member of HFL? What does being a member entail? Do I have to commit to anything? Is it free?

Becoming a member is simple and 100% free. Membership gives you exclusive access to our private Facebook group, special events, and educational materials not released to the public. All we ask in return is participation – reaching out to your local legislators to form relationships, voicing your concerns and opinions through emails and phone calls on proposed legislation, sharing our information, and attending events. Don’t hesitate, join today!

Health Freedom Louisiana is an officially registered business within the state of Louisiana but we exist and rely 100% on donations to cover monthly operating costs as well as printing packets, posters, and flyers for legislators, the public, and educational events. Please consider donating if you care about preserving our parental rights and fighting against oppressive legislation.

But we already have exemptions, so why do we need an organization like HFL?

Legislation to mandate vaccination and/or limit exemptions is introduced during EVERY session in many states across America, including Louisiana. The question isn’t if someone is going to try to remove our exemptions, it is when.

We don’t have to look far. Two federal bills were already introduced in 2019 that would affect the citizens of Louisiana by superseding existing state law and in essence remove our exemptions. Unlike in football, we need to play offense to win this human rights battle, not defense.

What exemptions do citizens have in Louisiana?

Thankfully, Louisiana has one of the best exemption laws in the country. According to Louisiana Revised Statute 17:170, which applies to licensed daycare centers, schools, colleges, and universities, a student or parent/guardian can claim an exemption based on medical, religious, and/or philosophical reasons. For a thorough explanation of the law as well as a sample letter you can use, please visit our Exemptions page.

What about when it comes to receiving public assistance (Medicaid, WIC, etc.)?

According to Louisiana Revised Statute 46:231.4 pertaining to recipients of public assistance programs, a person or parent/guardian can claim exemption to the immunization requirements on medical or religious grounds.

What kinds of child care/educational entities are affected by the law? Does it apply to private AND public schools?

The law applies to public and private elementary and secondary schools, kindergartens, colleges, universities, proprietary schools, vocational schools, and licensed daycare centers. It doesn’t matter if the institution receives zero funds from the government, the law states ANY school, daycare center, etc. For a thorough explanation of the law as well as a sample letter you can use, please visit our Exemptions page.

How do I go about submitting an exemption?

It’s very simple! All you have to do is provide a document from the student or parent/guardian (if the student is under 18) stating that you are claiming exemption from the immunization requirements OR for a medical exemption, submit a written statement from a physician stating that the procedure is contraindicated for medical reasons. A basic statement of exemption from the student/parent/guardian can be downloaded here. It is important that you familiarize yourself with the law, so we strongly suggest you visit our Exemptions page for a more detailed explanation of your rights.

I contacted a daycare center/school and they told me they do not accept exemptions. Can they do that? What do I do?

Unfortunately, parents are reporting to us that this is a common problem they are facing. This is one of the reasons why it is so important to be an active member of HFL, to continually build relationships with your legislators, and to become aware of and educate others on our parental rights.

In short, no, they can not refuse to accept your exemption; that is breaking the law. Try informing them of this, cite the specific law to them, or even send them the link to it or print it off and hand it to them. If you do not feel comfortable doing this, reach out to us on our Facebook page or email and one of us will be happy to communicate on your behalf. If after you’ve informed them of the law they still refuse, you should contact the Louisiana Department of Education at 877-453-2721 or complete their online contact form to report the center/school as not being compliant with Louisiana Revised Statute 17:170.

Additionally, we recommend you contact your local representative and senator and let them know this is happening. Look up your legislators here. It would also be extremely valuable to contact the members of both the Senate Education Committee and House Education Committee. They need to know if daycare centers/schools are engaging in illegal, discriminatory behavior. This can be as simple and quick as copying one email and sending it to each senator/representative. Again, if you’d like help with this, feel free to ask us, that’s what we’re here for!

Are you looking for an exemption to employer vaccine mandates? Click here.

How do I report a vaccine injury? Who do I report it to?

We recommend filing a report with the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System immediately. Here is a link to the checklist of information you will need to gather before filing the report. Doctors are required by law to file a VAERS report for events on the Vaccine Injury Table that occur within 30 days of vaccination, but HFL recommends filing this yourself if your doctor does not  recognize your concerns.

Which vaccines are the most important?

HFL highly recommends self-educating on each so-called “vaccine-preventable” disease, along with the risks vs benefits of each vaccine in the schedule. Please see our Resources page for more information. The courts have ruled vaccines as “unavoidably unsafe.”

Why would something unsafe be on the market?

The National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act, signed in 1986, states that “No vaccine manufacturer shall be liable in a civil action for damages arising from a vaccine-related injury or death associated with the administration of a vaccine after October 1, 1988, if the injury or death resulted from side effects that were unavoidable even though the vaccine was properly prepared and was accompanied by proper directions and warnings.”  This law protects all vaccine manufacturers at the cost of protecting our children.

What about Polio?

It is important to understand the history of Polio (as well as Smallpox) when relying on history to make medical decisions. HFL recommends reading Dr. Suzanne Humphries’ book Dissolving Illusions. The chapter on Polio can be read here. In short, the Polio diagnosis was a catchall diagnosis prior to the introduction of the Salk vaccine. Post vaccine introduction, the Polio diagnosis criteria drastically changed and a much smaller percentage of cases were classified as Polio.  The CDC states that fewer than 1% of all Polio cases result in acute flaccid paralysis, while only 72% of infected individuals are asymptomatic (without symptoms). 

Doesn’t everyone need to vaccinate in order for herd immunity to protect us?

Herd immunity was a term used pre-vaccination era to mean that the majority of the population held immunity against a communicable disease after exposure, and thus the “herd” was immune. The problem with this theory in relation to vaccination is it’s been repeatedly seen that vaccination does not equal lifelong immunity.  Within fully vaccinated populations, there have been outbreaks of measles time and time again.

Questions about Food Allergies as a Disability

Taken from “Commonly Asked Questions About Child Care Centers and the Americans with Disabilities Act”, U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division, Disability Rights Section.

Does the Americans with Disabilities Act — or “ADA” — apply to child care centers?

Yes. Privately-run child care centers — like other public accommodations such as private schools, recreation centers, restaurants, hotels, movie theaters, and banks — must comply with title III of the ADA. Child care services provided by government agencies, such as Head Start, summer programs, and extended school day programs, must comply with title II of the ADA. Both titles apply to a child care center’s interactions with the children, parents, guardians, and potential customers that it serves.

Which child care centers are covered by title III?

Almost all child care providers, regardless of size or number of employees, must comply with title III of the ADA. Even small, home-based centers that may not have to follow some State laws are covered by title III.

The exception is child care centers that are actually run by religious entities such as churches, mosques, or synagogues. Activities controlled by religious organizations are not covered by title III.

Private child care centers that are operating on the premises of a religious organization, however, are generally not exempt from title III. Where such areas are leased by a child care program not controlled or operated by the religious organization, title III applies to the child care program but not the religious organization. For example, if a private child care program is operated out of a church, pays rent to the church, and has no other connection to the church, the program has to comply with title III but the church does not.

What are the basic requirements of title III?

The ADA requires that child care providers not discriminate against persons with disabilities on the basis of disability, that is, that they provide children and parents with disabilities with an equal opportunity to participate in the child care center’s programs and services. Specifically:

  • Centers cannot exclude children with disabilities from their programs unless their presence would pose a direct threat to the health or safety of others or require a fundamental alteration of the program.
  • Centers have to make reasonable modifications to their policies and practices to integrate children, parents, and guardians with disabilities into their programs unless doing so would constitute a fundamental alteration.
  • Centers must provide appropriate auxiliary aids and services needed for effective communication with children or adults with disabilities, when doing so would not constitute an undue burden.
  • Centers must generally make their facilities accessible to persons with disabilities. Existing facilities are subject to the readily achievable standard for barrier removal, while newly constructed facilities and any altered portions of existing facilities must be fully accessible.

How do I decide whether a child with a disability belongs in my program?

Child care centers cannot just assume that a child’s disabilities are too severe for the child to be integrated successfully into the center’s child care program. The center must make an individualized assessment about whether it can meet the particular needs of the child without fundamentally altering its program. In making this assessment, the caregiver must not react to unfounded preconceptions or stereotypes about what children with disabilities can or cannot do, or how much assistance they may require. Instead, the caregiver should talk to the parents or guardians and any other professionals (such as educators or health care professionals) who work with the child in other contexts. Providers are often surprised at how simple it is to include children with disabilities in their mainstream programs.

Our center has a policy that we will not give medication to any child. Can I refuse to give medication to a child with a disability?

No. In some circumstances, it may be necessary to give medication to a child with a disability in order to make a program accessible to that child. While some state laws may differ, generally speaking, as long as reasonable care is used in following the doctors’ and parents’ or guardians’ written instructions about administering medication, centers should not be held liable for any resulting problems. Providers, parents, and guardians are urged to consult professionals in their state whenever liability questions arise.

What about children who have severe, sometimes life-threatening allergies to bee stings or certain foods? Do we have to take them?

Generally, yes. Children cannot be excluded on the sole basis that they have been identified as having severe allergies to bee stings or certain foods. A center needs to be prepared to take appropriate steps in the event of an allergic reaction, such as administering a medicine called “epinephrine” that will be provided in advance by the child’s parents or guardians.

  • The Department of Justice’s settlement agreement with La Petite Academy addresses this issue and others: In its 1997 settlement agreement with the Department of Justice, La Petite Academy also agreed to keep epinephrine on hand to administer to children who have severe and possibly life-threatening allergy attacks due to exposure to certain foods or bee stings and to make changes to some of its programs so that children with cerebral palsy can participate.

How do I make my child care center’s building, playground, and parking lot accessible to people with disabilities?

Even if you do not have any disabled people in your program now, you have an ongoing obligation to remove barriers to access for people with disabilities. Existing privately-run child care centers must remove those architectural barriers that limit the participation of children with disabilities (or parents, guardians, or prospective customers with disabilities) if removing the barriers is readily achievable, that is if the barrier removal can be easily accomplished and can be carried out without much difficulty or expense.

Still Have Questions?

If you can’t find an answer to your question in the FAQ, you can always contact us and we’ll be glad to help!

Ready to get involved?

The time is NOW. States are passing draconian laws and the government is overstepping, infringing, and stripping parental and human rights, rights to bodily integrity, and family autonomy.

Back To Top